A Little About The Blog

A lot of people blog about healthy eating, exercise, professional development, financial management and anything else regular people are supposed to do. The difference between those bloggers and myself is that I'm not overly optimistic about my ability to do any of them successfully. Watch me attempt and fail at life in general. Follow me on twitter, and I'll live blog my progress at #livelikeaperson.

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Food Challenge 1


Welcome to the first of what I hope to be many food challenges. Basically, I started this blog as someone who would like to be healthier, but have real world limitations. I’ve often made excuses for not being healthy. For example, I can’t afford a personal trainer or organic food. I also really like the taste of regular food and would never want to give up alcohol, or anything deep-fried and covered in salt.

For example: a Big Mac meal must be super-sized (or whatever we’re calling super-sized now) with McChicken sauce for the fries, extra dill pickles and double-extra Big Mac sauce. I’m always sure to mention that they must first add extra sauce to the burger, then double that amount. If they double the original amount and then add extra, I’ll know they skimped out. This is the mentality of the healthy blogger you’ve encountered. If you’re looking for a peppy, washboard-abed, nutrition guru…you’ve stumbled upon the wrong site. I love food too much to poach meat and season it with a little bit of pretend salt.

Having said that I’ve decided to challenge myself once per month to take a dish I enjoy and make it healthy. 

There are only two rules.
1.      I cannot incur significant additional costs in making it healthy
2.       It still has to taste good


This Week’s Recipe: Maple Curry Chicken

Original Recipe
·         2 tablespoons olive oil
·         2 tablespoons butter
·         1 large onion, chopped
·         1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
·         1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
·         1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
·         2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast meat
·         3 cloves garlic
·         1 teaspoon sugar
·         1/4 cup pure maple syrup
·         1 can of Coconut Milk
·         2 ½ tablespoons Patak’s Madras Curry Paste

Brief Cooking Instructions
Cook everything in a pan. Add maple syrup when chicken is cooked through. Add coconut milk and then curry paste. Continue to cook until it’s delicious?

My Changes
  • First of all, I don’t measure out cups of cubed chicken, and I doubled the recipe so I’d have some to freeze for the days I don’t feel like cooking (i.e. most days). I used 4 chicken breasts.
  • Red and Yellow peppers were on sale below the price of green peppers for the first time ever in history, so I used 3 red, 3 yellow and no green.
  • I got a kick-ass new garlic press for Christmas and I have been adding more garlic to everything. I have no sweet clue how much garlic is in it, but it’s more than what was recommended.
  • I don’t measure olive oil and I didn’t use butter. I’m assuming I added enough extra olive oil to counteract the absence of butter.
  • I didn’t use any sugar. I’d like to say it’s because I was being healthy, but really I just forgot.
  • In place of coconut milk, I used skim milk and to thicken it, I added an entire tub of Activia plain unsweetened yoghurt.
Normally one would pour this over rice or pasta. I tried a spaghetti squash to eliminate all the carbs. You should probably microwave the squash prior to trying to cut it open. I got the knife all the way in the center, and then couldn’t move it. There were no adults around to help. Everything worked out in the end, but I learned that adding more knives does not solve any problem ever.



Judgement

Worth it!

The taste of the curry didn’t change at all. There is however, a science to cooking with yoghurt. Adding it while the curry is still hot causes it to curdle. I had to Google whether I could still eat it at this point. With no definitive answer from Google, I determined it was ok. I didn’t die.

I already have skim milk on hand at all times, and adding the tub of yoghurt wasn’t more expensive than a can of coconut milk. I don’t think you really need the whole pint. A cup could have done it, but the whole thing made it really creamy.

The spaghetti squash was good, but it was CAD$ 5.67 and it made 4 big portions. This doesn’t compare to the CAD$ 1.99 spaghetti noodles I get on sale that make many more portions. I didn’t feel disgusting after eating it like I would with regular pasta, and I served sparkling water instead of wine to offset the price. It was healthier, AND I didn’t get hammered and do something stupid like I normally would. 

Feel free to try this out for yourself and let me know how it goes. Also, I’m always looking for new ideas so if you have a recipe that needs fixing, I’ll fix it…or fail miserably, which I feel would be more entertaining anyway. Tweet me @scottkeenan27 and use #livelikeaperson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment